So it's about half way through the summer, and I feel like it has FLOWN by. I've diverged from my usual path of front office/desk work and am currently a mall employee. Yep, that's right-me, the girl who just loves to shop...NOT. I'm beginning to know Great Lakes Crossing a little better than I ever thought I would or should. I can tell you what direction all the major stores are including but not limited to the following: Saks 5th Avenue, Marshalls, Victoria Secret, The Children's Place, The Gap, Calvin Klein, Gymboree, Cupcake Kitchen, Bass Pro Shop, Bed Bath & Beyond, Burlington Coat Factory, The Nike Store, Maidenform, Coach, Aldo, Kenneth Cole, 2b bebe, GNC, Samsonite, Brooks Brothers, Michael Kors, TJ Max, Neiman Marcus, BCBG, Kitchen Collection, Tommy Hilfiger, Shi, The Disney Store, Express, Sports Authority, and sooooooo many more. I can literally imagine walking around the big oval shaped mall and what stores I will be passing. I can tell you that the closest restrooms are precisely five stores down on the left, and I can say from experience that it's about a five minute walk to the food court from my kiosk. Is it weird that I know some of the mall walkers by name? That I know exactly how they want their coffee in the mornings? How about the fact that all the mall security guards wave in my direction when we cross paths, or that I know the UPS guy? Whether it's weird, sane, odd, cool, or anything else, it's reality.
Well, it's my reality working at Lik Gelato Bar, which has proved to be interesting in the least. It's my first time working in the service industry, and the food industry, and I have to say I will never forget it. Some days are great and easy and some days I think people couldn't be more rude. I guess it all just depends on the weather? Sometimes I wish people could just slip on mood rings before placing an order or asking what the melted ice cream looking stuff is. OH BOY! And my response to them is always the same: "It's called GELATO, and it's the Italian form of ice cream. The difference is it's made with milk instead of cream, and it's actually about half the fat and calories of American ice cream. Plus, ice cream here is about 80% air, whereas this has a lot less air whipped into it, making it a lot denser, filling, and flavorful." This phrase (roughly) I probably repeat about 100 times a day. It's quite a life I live, I know! Then once people understand what it is, and decide what flavor to sample, I'd say about 90% love it, that is until they realize the price.Don't get me wrong though, it may be hot, sometimes chaotic and confusing, and a job where you're on your feet all day, but it comes with its benefits too. My coworkers are awesome, each a little different but fun to be around and all extremely willing to work cohesively. My boss is even cooler. Plus, I can sample my favorite gelato and sorbet flavors whenever I want. To this date, my favorite gelato is the peanut butter cup, and my favorite sorbet has got to be that amazing mango flavor! But the red raspberry is a close second.
AAAANNNNDDDD, I get to see all my friends who come up and visit me. My parents pop in every once in a while, but my favorite to date has got to be when Brenda brought the kids up for the afternoon. Sawyer was all about the "ice cream," and after tasting each flavor I gave him to sample, he would instantly say, "YUUMMMM." It was so cute! So I got Syd and Sawyer some of the gelato and Sawyer even drank the melted gelato out of his bowl at the end just to get every little bit left. Gotta love that boy!
All in all, the second half of this summer adventure is sure to be as interesting as the first. If for nothing else than some money, I can now make a mean latte. Would you like it with whole or skim milk? Any flavoring in it? Whip cream?




No comments:
Post a Comment